top menu

11/08/2011

Preparing for the Interview

Honestly, my own interview didn't go well at all. At one point the interviewers were actually yelling at me. And I had earlier made a mistake. I kept the 'Extra curricular activities' field or something like that blank, so they asked me if I had knowledge of anything beyond computers. When I told them that I had regularly participated in school science fairs and participated in some BTV programs, they told me I wasn't good at selling myself. However keep your cool. And show them how desperate you are to get into this program. If they get the slightest hint that you may try elsewhere - no, they are not going to select you. You have to tell them you will apply next year if you don't make it this year. Also expect questions that are related to your previous education and your work experiences. So if you were a computer professional, you'll be asked what RDBMS is. I was asked what I understood by a computer system, and I couldn't reply because I couldn't understand the question. A computer system may imply a lot of things. What I should have done was instead of asking them to be a little more specific about what they meant, I just should have continued with whatever I understood. Just carry on. And if you don't know the answer to a question, don't pretend that you knew it and was trying to remember it. Be honest and confidently say that although you didn't have an answer to their question, that will be the first thing you will check out as soon as the interview was over. Just present a pleasant confident likable personality. This is true for job interviews as well. Be confident but not arrogant. There is a thin line. Oh, I was also asked what a "system" was, and if Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology was a "project". To answer that question, Ahsanullah is not a project since projects have an end. Below I am presenting some questions and answers I prepared before the interview. My good and genius friend Sadia Zaman, who graduated with a CGPA of 3.98 helped me with the probable questions and the possible answers.


1. Did you go through coaching for this test (they ask this a lot). What is a gerund or an infinitive (or some other grammatical thing that I didn't know very well myself)? They did teach these stuff at Mentors, but i didn't think they were worth learning).


Yes I did.  Getting into IBA is very important for me, and therefore, I did not want to leave any lose ends.  I wanted to make sure, I have tried hard enough and had taken help from all available sources.  So, I enrolled for a coaching program.  I have learned English as my first language academically, and I am comfortable conversing and writing in English.  I also have a strong command over grammar, however this is a part I need to refresh my memory on.  I can always look it up in grammar book.

2. How did you study for this test? Someone I know was asked this question in his BBA interview, and he had said that he studied from SAT books, and they assumed he took your SAT examination because he was planning on moving abroad. He was disqualified.

I solved question papers provided by my coaching program.  I had a study plan.  I also collected articles, which I thought were relevant for the preparation.  I have use of the internet to prepare myself for the selection process. 

3. Are u planning on going abroad? How do we know that you will not transfer to any university abroad later on?

No, I am not.  I believe I can enjoy quality education from IBA.  It is a combination of high standard education, which is within my means.  If I had intended to I would have done so earlier for my bachelor's degree.

4. Why IBA? You will probably say, because it is the most prestigious university in Bangladesh. Then they will ask you what makes you think so.

IBA is very prestigious, and has a very good faculty (you could name some).  It had an overall rating as one of the top 30 business schools in Asia (check if it is still true).  I have friends who have graduated from IBA, and I was very impressed with the standard of their education.  In addition, graduating from IBA entails very good career prospect. All reputed employers are keen to employ IBA graduates, and I have seen that most IBA graduates go on to enjoying a very successful career path.


5. What are your achievements? You don't seem to have much.

I have won several science fair and recitation competition.  It probably does not fit career achievement profile, but it reflects my interest in extra curricular activities.  I believe getting a bachelor's degree was a significant achievement for me. You could tell them that you have a knack for artsy stuff.  Just set yourself apart, and show that you are a person of diverse interest.  You may not have a technical background, but like to, say for example, artsy stuff.  Show them that you are different and you are very determined to succeed.  It is very important that they see you are driven and determined.

6. Then there's a 90% chance that they will ask you to describe yourself. Don't mention things that have already been provided in you admission form. That is a common mistake people make in their job interviews as well. This is your biggest chance to sell yourself. Tell them things about yourself that they don't already know. You may also get this question for the written section

Any attempt to use appropriate adjectives to depict oneself may be likened to constructing a balance sheet without liabilities. I consider my ability to get along with others as a major asset. Since I am personable, it helps me to accomplish the tasks on hand with a fair amount of ease. Growing up in a family of supportive and caring individuals, I recognize the importance of considering everyone’s opinion when taking major decisions. However, at the same time, having spent considerable time on my own during recent times, I value my independence and am able to take charge of situations should it be required. It would be fair to say that I consider myself, a versatile person who can adopt according to given circumstances.

I graduated as a computer engineer from Ahsanullah University of Science and Technology. I have had three years experience working as a software engineer. I think I can fairly say that as a student and an employee, I had been hard working and dedicated. My strong point, I would say, is my tendency to stick to something I set my heart to until the task has been achieved. My weak point however is that I am too much of a perfectionist. This can be a drawback in case of imminent deadline. I am working on it, so that I can make a balance between standard and time. My motto in life is that life is too short. We should all make the most out of it. 
 
Other suggestions
Remember, you can steer your way out of any difficult question. 

Show that you are keen, determined, positive, have good attitude to learn.

Be calm and have an approachable, and confident look.

They decide on the first few minutes, so it is largely based on first impression.  So dress right, have good attitude, look confident and approachable - that should do the trick.

19 comments:

daydreamer said...

Good Tips, Laura :-)... Great Job done ! Pls keep it up and continue ...
Also thanks to your Genius 3.98 CGPA friend Sadia N. Zaman.....

Unknown said...

thanks Laura..... its really helpful for the students committed to IBA.

Unknown said...

Can I get the rest word lists

Laura Mohiuddin said...

Hi Foysal, kindly provide me your email address and I will send you the files :)

Unknown said...

thanks a lot......

Md.Mahfujur Rahaman said...

Hi Ma'am,

This is just what I was looking for. Just today I have found your blog, It's just great that you are helping others with such great information.

Though I am confused about me with few of your sentence as you stated that In your academic career & In work place you were dedicated but In case of me this sentence doesn't go with me "I am too much of a perfectionist" There were a lots of consideration for what I couldn't be dedicated in my study, I have got something like GPA 3 in my honors program from a Private University but I truly feel that I need to get admission into IBA. So what about me ? and even If I pass the written test can I come over Viva board ?

We all know that IBA is the most prestigious institution in our country & most of the students try to get an admission into IBA because of it's reputation but it is totally different in case of me. I need to get an admission into IBA cause I don't have any other way around, I am stuck here. I need to learn about entrepreneurship & the way of thinking & Standard of IBA graduates, Basically I am very keen to learn on this.

I will be writing more comments as I am reading all your posts.

Many Thanks For The Informative Writing.

Mahfuj

Unknown said...

well I just googled for some guidelines on how to pass the upcoming viva... since the last one was a long time ago... and hey presto! I landed on your blog... excellent stuff, brings back a lot of memories on how I did it... thanks a lot, Laura... Shoeb (from 40th)

Laura Mohiuddin said...

Hey Shoeb, thanks for your comment. Means a lot to me coming from you :)

BetaTesterX said...

great blog ! :) just wanted to know if they ask any questions relating to the industry one is working in or anything relating to studies ?

NOMANCUET said...

I am going to face IBA viva on 18th January and I hope your article will be helpful for us. Thanks

Laura Mohiuddin said...

In fact, they mostly ask about the industry you are working for, your work experience, or your undergrad, especially, I think, if it was something other than business studies. They asked me all sorts of questions related to CSE, asked me the abbreviation of RDBMS, And some questions did not make any sense (??). If this happens, politely ask him/her to rephrase the question, if the person still does not make any sense, just confidently present any answer, rather than try to make a sense out of the question.

NOMANCUET said...

I have also graduated from CSE,CUET.So i may have something in common with your viva experience.To be honest i am not quite ready for IBA. I treated this exam as a mock test but surprisingly i qualify for viva. Now i have to face viva and i am not sure if i succeed this time but anyway thank you for your useful tips and kind cooperation

Laura Mohiuddin said...

You are most welcome Noman and Best of Luck! Of course you can do it. I am sure of it. Just let me know when you make it :).

Abdullah said...

You are quite an inspiration. I will let you know if there is any good news. Even if there is not any i should say"It was a pleasure talking to you"

Thanks again for your support :)

NOMANCUET said...

ear Laura , It is painful to inform you that i was eliminated in viva.I was eliminated Twice in few weeks .I had nothing to say when they didn't choose me for part time MBA as i faced viva along with many die hard contestants. But it hurts me truly when i found today that i am not among the candidates finally selected for executive MBA. From my experience i can say that i got better marks in written test than any of them i talked to.I am not exaggerating.Executive MBA written question was really a child's play for me. But when i faced viva on 22th February i found that IBA teachers were very upset about my very very poor CGPA//2.50//(they said it exacly the same as i wrote here"very very poor CGPA").In my opinion they shouldn't ask a lot about it since i have already three years working experience . This is not the first time i faced this kind of negative remarks i can tell you. In one Bank recruitment test i stood 2nd obtaining 65 marks in written but they even took the man who obtained only 50 in written exam even though i answered all questions correctly in viva voce . I thought i left this chapter behind but i was wrong.They were keep asking why such poor CGPA WHY.I answered but they seemed to not satisfied about it.I thought I left this chapter behind but I was wrong I shouldn't try for IBA anymore as i will always be treated negatively for poor CGPA

Unknown said...

Laura apu, Can you provide me the vocabulary files??? & many many thanks for sharing your views and suggestions. May God bless you...:)

Unknown said...

read this daily star article, you'll have scroll down a bit to get to the relevant part, but it's worth it! http://archive.thedailystar.net/rising/2004/03/01/special.htm
apart from that, the tips mentioned are only useful up to a point. I'm not saying they aren't useless per se, but they are a bit out dated.
one key practice of the IBA teachers these days is checking the VIVA candidate's social networking and relevant activities, you never know which mis-adjusted facebook picture makes a bad impression or how your tumblr activities play out. So do a clean up and adjust some settings on the social networks at least a week before the viva.
selling yourself will only work when you have something, so work on that, not on something you have never had.
cheers!

Unknown said...

Dear Ma'am,
Your site helped me a lot throughout my months-long preparation for IBA MBA, specially for the preparation for facing the interview.
Alhamdulillah, finally I've been selected!
My humble gratitude is for you, ma'am.

Unknown said...

Mam, I am desperate to get a MBA degree from IBA and I am preparing myself for that too. Mam, I have a very important question for you. Mam, I have a big gap in between my College and University as I have to bear my own cost by myself so I have to passed several obstacle to complete my graduation, But Al Hamdulillah Now I have completed my graduation and preparing myself for IBA. So Mam, would that be an issue for getting chance in IBA??

Post a Comment