top menu

9/22/2011

Building Your Vocabulary

My first advice regarding your vocabulary: mere memorizing will not help. You will actually have to KNOW and UNDERSTAND the words. You have to know its proper usage. The best way to do this is by looking-up as many sentences as you can containing that word. A book I found very useful was "30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary" by Wilfred Funk and Norman Lewis . I got my copy from ETC that used to be at Dhanmondi, but you should also be able to find it at Nilkhet and New Market. You may also find this website helpful: http://insidestoryflashcards.com. Additionally I used to make flash cards. This was very helpful as far as memorizing was concerned. But to actually have a good command over the words, I used to make practice sheets for each alphabet. I have attached some practice sheets I made for each letter. Below is a guideline on how to use the practice sheets:
  1. Make a printout of the sheet.
  2. Find the meanings of the words in the sheets (I suggest programs like Encarta dictionary to save time)
  3. Once you feel you can remember the meanings of the words you listed (using flashcards or whatever you find convenient), try filling in the blanks in the practice sheets. Do this again a week later to ensure that you do in fact have a good grasp of the word.
Also note that just like reading lots of books improves you command over a language, studying the sentences in the sheets will also do the same. Additionally, good vocabulary will help you with the written section. But again, don't over-do it. Your writing should seem natural and lucid to the reader. You will find practice sheets for words beginning with the respective letters in the links below:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z  

Dear Applicants, I have uploaded till D and it is kind of time consuming. Do let me know if it is actually helping, then I will upload the rest. In the meantime I will move on to the next topic

4 comments:

Dark Circle said...

Would U pls upload for the rest of the alphabet. Do I need to follow any admission guide from Mentors or Saifur's ? If so which one is batter ?

Unknown said...

plz upload other alphabets....

Unknown said...

please upload those books

Unknown said...

Apa..can you please upload the rest of the alphabets?

Post a Comment